In the past, this procedure may have been compared to Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) and the “vampire lift,” but PRF is unique due to the slow short centrifugation and the absence of anticoagulant or synthetic additives. This process keeps the growth factors active for a longer duration, contributing to the rejuvenation process. Just like with PRP, this is the perfect alternative for patients looking for a natural approach to address the initial signs of aging.
PRF generally consists of a series of treatments with a 4-week interval in between. The benefits, such as improved skin quality, collagen production, and skin tightening, may take up to 3-4 months to be noticed and can last for 6-12 months. The initial increase in volume lasts 1-3 weeks. PRF treatment is often combined with other treatments such as botox, fillers, and microneedling.
Four tubes of blood are drawn and centrifuged. This separates the blood plasma from the red blood cells. This blood plasma contains growth factors and nutrients.
The blood plasma is applied subcutaneously using a cannula, for example, in the tear trough, nasolabial fold, and marionette lines. The rest is evenly distributed and injected in a grid pattern across the rest of the face.
A PRF treatment is also effective for hair loss and volume restoration. The concentrate of your body’s own growth factors stimulates hair growth, making the hair thicker.
What to do after the treatment?
For the best results, we ask you to follow these guidelines:
- Drink enough water to stay hydrated after the PRF treatment. Hydration is essential for a quick recovery.
- Avoid heavy physical activity and exertion for at least 48 hours after the treatment. This also includes lifting and intense exercise.
- It is normal to experience some swelling, sensitivity, or discomfort after a PRF treatment. You can take pain relievers as advised by your healthcare provider.
- If you are taking blood-thinning medications, discuss with your doctor when you can resume them after the treatment.
- Only use the skincare products recommended by your healthcare provider on the treated area.
- Protect the treated area from direct sunlight. Wear sunscreen with SPF 30 or higher.
If you are concerned about your recovery, experiencing side effects, or have any questions, please contact our clinic.
Are you interested in the possibilities of PRF for the skin or scalp at Amsterdam Skin Clinic? Then book a free consultation and discuss your wishes with one of our doctors.